Friday, March 20, 2009

The Patron Saint of Butterflies

by Cecilia Galante

Agnes and Honey have been best friends their whole lives, yet they could not be more different. They live in a religious commune called Mount Blessing. Agnes diligently seeks the life of a saint, while Honey wants nothing to do with that life. Their friendship is put to the test when Honey questions the commune and it's leader, Emmanuel. When Agnes' grandmother Nana Pete comes for a visit, she discovers the commune's most horrible secret. Fearing for their safety, she takes the girls and leaves Mount Blessing. Agnes struggles to cling to the life she once had, and Honey tries to bring out the friend she used to have in Agnes. Only when the biggest lie is uncovered does Agnes finally realize that she has the courage to create her own future.

Wow, just..wow. I read The Patron Saint of Butterflies because it was on Miss Erin's  Top Favorites of 2008. I don't think I have ever been so involved in a story before. This book was so interactive, which I loved. The writing was incredible and basically lept off the page. The kind of writing that pulls me into the story for days. While reading this story I felt trapped and suffocated. I saw how these people were living and I knew how warped their thinking was. I just kept wanting to yell at them and tell them how insane they are for following Emmanuel. I felt so many different emotions that I just couldn't contain. It was brilliant. It felt more like an experience than something I was reading.

This book was completely wonderful. It's definitely one of my absolute favorites.

3 comments:

Erin said...

You described this perfectly...it *was* like an experience. I was so emotionally involved, too.

(oh and I'm curious to hear your thoughts on Atonement...)

Emily Ruth said...

I'm curious about atonement too :) have you watched it yet?

oh, and you have an award..

Traci said...

i loved loved loved loved this book!!!

oh and go check out my blog, i tagged you :)