Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Secret Life of Bees: by Sue Monk Kidd

I saw the trailer for the movie on this book, and I knew I had to read it. I heard about this book numerous times but never got around to reading it. I was missing out.

Set in South Carolina in 1964, this book tells the tale of a fourteen year old girl named Lily Owens. Her life is constantly plagued by the memory of the afternoon her mother was killed. Unloved by her father, Lily has no one except for her black "stand in mother," Rosaleen. When Rosaleen insults three of the fiercest racists in town, Lily knows that they have to escape. They find themselves in Tiburon, South Carolina, a place that Lily knows holds hidden secrets to her mothers past. They are taken in by three black beekeeping sisters who welcome Lily into their world of bees, honey, and the Black Madonna. The experience of staying with these cultured women shows Lily what love is all about. But no matter how hard she tries, Lily can't seem to escape the horrible truth about her past.

This book was simply amazing. There was some weird views toward religion that I didn't particularly agree with, but it was a cute story. The movie comes out on October 17th and I can't WAIT to see it! It looks like it's going to be a great movie, ESPECIALLY because Jennifer Hudson is playing Rosaleen and Dakota Fanning is playing Lily. Anyways, it's a good book centered around strong female power, probably the reason that I like it so much!

1 comment:

Traci said...

we SO have to see this movie DeAnna!!